Sunday, April 14, 2013


OR SO I THINK AT TIMES


I am an ordinary person, swimming around in my own self-importance.
It might surprise you all to know that the whole world revolves around me.

Or so I think at times.


I smile at others, all the while comparing myself to them.

I need to be smarter, smarter, smarter.

I need to be prettier, prettier, prettier.

I need to be younger, younger, younger.

I need to show you how important I am.

Or so I think at times.


But then, I let the light in.
And it flares up with its overwhelming white brilliance, encompassing all my bones, all my body, blending me into a greater light and I cry because I see for the first time – the truth.

I am the one who whispered unknown formulas into Einstein’s ear.
I am the one with addled brain who struggles to spell “cat.”

I am the enviable beauty on the cover of fashion magazines, openly loving herself.
I am the pimply boy standing alone at the dance, secretly hating himself.

I am the giggling schoolgirl, eyes bright, facing her future.
I am the crippled grandmother eyes clouded, grieving for years past.

I am a queen, a Sultan, a bum, a potentate, a baby just born, an old man just passed.

Yin – yang
Prenatal – natal.
I am everything.
And I am nothing.

The world does not revolve around me. It is me!

We are all the same.

Or so I think at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment