Sunday, April 14, 2013

VERMIN VERISIMILITUDE


VERMIN VERISIMILITUDE


I sat on the couch wearing a soft blue dress with silver crescent moons. The cushions underneath me were uncomfortable with their purple and black squiggles. They grabbed at my butt like meat hooks and yanked me down through fat couch cushion lips and into a scratchy nest of straw and leaves. The rats crawled from holes in the wall and stood around the nest. They had been waiting for me.

At first they were polite and complimented me on my choice of outfit, lulling me into a false sense of comfort. Then they turned and taunted me with tales of lost boyfriends, as if my pain had all been part of their plan. My fingers smashed at rat droppings, while urine trails led others to the spectacle. Rats’ teeth are sharp and their bite soft. They tore at my flesh yet apologized for drawing blood. I reached inside my womb and fed them green poison pellets warning them not to go into my neighbors’ yard to die. Drugged rats don’t listen.

They crawled up to my brain and sucked gray matter through crazy straws. Rats ate my memories and stole my thoughts. Silver dust footprints on my naked belly tell where they’ve gone. My navel puckers, as if blowing me a last kiss, then hisses and is still. They’re all inside me now, controlling me, telling me to get up and go out in the world. I open the door and the smell of smoggy air burns my nostrils, my trachea, my windpipe. My lungs shoot up out of my mouth, then retract, shriveling in horror. The rats inhale deeply, smoke cheap cigars and laugh in delight. I cough out black smoke and proceed down the steps. The green grass is bright and I stare in between the blades into the dirt to see friendly insects dance the samba on a dead snail’s shell. Ants show off and carry grains of dirt twice their size. Spiders sit in easy chairs and read magazines about themselves, chests pumped up with pride for the fear they create. My rats said move, don’t stand still, motion is the only way for us now.

A car drove by and a sad faced boy spit squamous saliva onto the road. It sizzled and moved toward my neighbor’s perfect house. She’s very angry and has been waiting for disease. She opened the door wide and invited cancer in, letting it rest on her liver which rot and turned black in rebellion.

Dogs pissed yellow threats on arrogant tree trunks. They too are filled with parasitic control systems. We nod and move our separate ways. It’s a big world to contaminate and we must catch our spaceship before a cure is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment