Sunday, April 14, 2013


TOMORROW I’LL GET MY EYES CHECKED
January 1999


Today I put my dog to sleep.
A sad, sad thing to do.
He was old and had a broken leg
And other things wrong with him too.

But look at me, I’m old as well.
My body’s not the same
My walk is slow, my eyes aren’t good
At times I forgot the dog’s name.

Whatever it was, he’s in heaven now
And I’m sure that God won’t forget
A dog so sweet and ever true
He’ll be heaven’s favorite pet.

But who’s that limping through the door?
It’s doggie what’s-his-name.
Why you’re not dead, you little imp.
I’m shocked but pleased just the same.

Then who did I gas in the shed today
When I thought I was being so kind?
A neighbor calls out for his pesky mutt
Who has trespassed his very last time.

There’s a little marked grave near zucchini and squash
It’s there lie his pooches remains.
Better run off now to buy doggie food
And try to recall my dog’s name.

No comments:

Post a Comment